Although racing had been held in the area previously, the first race at the present site was held in September 1927.
The course is close to the Blackdown Hills and about two miles from the town centre. It is 45 minutes by car from Exeter and one hour from Bristol by car as well as being served by rail. The 10-furlong jumps track plays to the strengths of handy types.
Right-hand oval track of 1m 2f. There are 4 fences in each of the two straights and five hurdles per circuit, with a short run-in of 150yds.