Eight miles west of Edinburgh, the course is in the Millhill area of Musselburgh in East Lothian close to the River Esk.
The Flat and jumps tracks are about a mile and a quarter round and quite sharp. There are 20 meetings throughout the year. At first, race meetings were held on the sands at Leith, but in 1816 they moved to Musselburgh and was originally known as Edinburgh.
Oval right-hand quite sharp track of 1m 2f with a run-in of 4f. Basically flat with high numbers best when the stalls are on the stand side.
Right-hand oval track of 11f in extent. The bends are sharp, eight easy fences and six hurdles per circuit suiting the nippy type.